Sunday, August 18, 2013

The Traveling Postcard

Sunday! I don't even care that the weekend is over, because I am so pumped to get this week under way. This coming weekend, I am going to Country Fest at Gillette Stadium to see Kenny Chesney, Eric Church (!), Eli Young Band and Kasey Musgraves and I couldn't be more excited. My friends and I have been going every summer since we graduated and summer just can't end without live country music.

So every now and then I think I might do a post like this that talks a little bit about my interests outside the world of nail polish. With nail polish of course!
On a recent trip to Walmart, I finally spotted the Fing'rs display that I have seen numerous bloggers talk about. I ended out picking up 2 sets of nail tattoos, that reminded me of 2 of my other hobbies.


Here's a snapshot of one of the packages. The front and the back with directions.
When I am not working, blogging and doing regular life things I am most fond of being:


A Traveler and Postcard Collector. 
I didn't manage to travel anywhere this summer, but several of my friends and family members did! And they sent me postcards along the way, which makes me so happy! 
My goal is to one day have a postcard from all 50 states.


I am well on my way with postcards from 27 states.


And 18 different countries.


From several different continents.
I store all my postcards in a fancy box I found while antiquing in New Hampshire.
I have hundreds of postcards. I am pretty proud of my collection.


I was super happy to find these nail tattoos from Fing'rs, especially since I could tie them into my other favorite hobbies. These were super easy to use. I painted my ring and middle fingers with 2 coats of OPI My Boyfriend Scales Walls. I cut the paper to size, peeled off the plastic covering, dipped in water for 10 seconds and pressed it onto my nail. The design slid right off onto my nail and I used polish remover to clean up any over hang around my nails. It was just like those temporary tattoos you had when you were little!
You have to be sure to use a topcoat or the design will come off when it gets wet!!


Unfortunately the design only lasted about 2-3 days for me before it started to rub off when I got it wet. I don't think I put enough top coat, but I really liked how easy they were to use and how cute they turned out. Anyway, my accent nail is a road map design, to symbolize the traveler in me. My middle finger is the postmark from a postcard, with writing. Which reminded me of this:


My oldest postcard, postmarked February 23rd, 1925. The 1 cent stamp is still attached. Turns out, my grandmother's family has a whole bunch of travelers! I started collecting postcards when I was 7 or so, my first trip ever was a trip to Florida (to visit Disneyworld), where I got my first postcard.


My grandmother let me have all of the old postcards she had from her family. I have taken good care of them. I have a bunch with the stamps still attached!


Here is another photo of my fun traveling mani and a postcard I received from my friend who is off in Texas this summer learning how to be military police for the Navy. As you can see, we can't wait to be reunited!

What do you collect?


Polishes used in this mani: Carpe Noctem Cosmetics Gallifreyan Sunset and OPI My Boyfriend Scales Walls.



1 comment:

  1. Awesome! And those nail tattoos sound way cooler than the stick-on stuff (I'm not much a fan of those). Is it like doing newsprint nails?

    I think collecting postcards is a fabulous idea!

    I don't think I'm much of a "collector" but I have the start of a collection of animated movies merchandise. I have a deep love for animated movies, used to want to be an animator, and as an artist appreciate the beauty of them...and besides, they just get better with age, am I right?? haha I guess it's a little silly but I love it! :)

    - Toria
    http://toriamasons-treasures.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Hello! I love seeing your comments and messages! I read each one, even when I don't always get to reply back! Thanks for taking the time to comment <3